Best Music of 2018 & Other Interesting Things
Well, 2018 was maybe not the greatest year in human history, broadly speaking, but it sure was musically interesting. In this episode, we discuss a handful of the most thoughtful “best music of 2018” lists, and then listen to a few of the recordings shared by those lists, ones that are particularly outstanding and engaging (and that we haven’t already recently discussed).
We also briefly consider some paradigm-shift-type happenings in creative culture: the potential impact of new works entering the public domain for the first time since 1998, and the first Kennedy Center Honors award to a collaborative work rather than an individual artist.
Use the links below to follow your musical curiosity!
Playlist for this episode:
- Robyn - Missing U from Honey
- Kasey Musgraves - Butterflies, Space Cowboy, and High Horse from Golden Hour
- Rosalía - MALAMENTE (Cap.1: Augurio) and DI MI NOMBRE (Cap.8: Éxtasis) from EL MAL QUERER
- Tierra Whack - Hookers and Hungry Hippo from Whack World
- Pusha T - The Games We Play from Daytona
- Royal Liverpool National Orchestra - On the Waterfront Suite, II. Adagio from Bernstein: On the Waterfront
- Yo Yo Ma - Unaccompanied Cello Suite #1, BWV 1007 - I. Prélude and Unaccompanied Cello Suite #6, BWV 1012 - III. Courante from Six Evolutions - Bach: Cello Suites
- Wet Ink - Auditory Scene Analysis, Pt. 1 from Wet Ink:20
- Janelle Monáe - Make Me Feel from Dirty Computer